Queen Street Studio is very proud to be included in Vivid Creative Sydney’s new fringe program with an interactive panel event called “When I Grow Up I Want To Be An Artist: tales of sustaining art practice in Sydney”.
Taking place at FraserStudios on Monday 6 June 2011 (6:30pm start for a 7–8pm panel), the event will be hosted by our very own James Winter (co-founder & –director of Queen Street Studio and freelance theatre director extraordinaire), with some FANTASTIC and diverse artists on the panel:
- Fran Barrett, member of video and performance collaboration Brown Council, whose works have been shown at galleries, festivals and theatrical settings around the globe including Performance Space, Melbourne Art Fair and Athens International Video Art Festival
- Rosie Dennis, Sydney-based performer, writer and curator who most recently created and performed Driven To New Pastures and curated MINTO: LIVE as part of the 2011 Sydney Festival and is currently employed as the Live Art Curator at Campbelltown Arts Centre
- Michelle Kotevski, Executive Producer of Urban Theatre Projects in Bankstown, ex Creative Producer of Big hART Inc, and independent film maker with over five years of experience working at Australia Council for the Arts with the Theatre and Community Cultural Development Boards
- Sebastian Goldspink, a street based artist whose practise focuses on advertising interventions, using hand cut vinyl lettering and images to employ humour and comment directly on outdoor advertising, subvert meaning and create dialogue with the original advert
- Sian McIntyre of The Paper Mill, a volunteer-run, not-for-profit artist-run space committed to facilitating all aspects of paper based art, which opened in September 2010 at Angel Place in Sydney thanks to the City Of Sydney.
Join us as these dynamic artists and creatives from Sydney tell their stories—what made them become an artist in the first place? Was there ever another option? And most importantly, what keeps them going in this industry day to day?
Get practical advice from those who have been there before… and survived—everything from self-marketing, to finding spaces, to securing funds and heading overseas.